Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Really cool print ads that make you think

I stumbled upon a link today with some really great print ads that I wanted to share (http://www.viralnova.com/creative-print-ads/). In an age where digital advertising is all the craze, I really loved seeing these clever print ads.

Two of my favorites were:

2) Colgate Dental Floss - Colgate has brand recognition as a top toothpaste, but I think this ad does a great job of showcasing why its a superior floss. Using a kiwi and strawberry, the designers chose 2 fruits that often leave annoying seeds behind. The floss is depicted with an uncanny ability to effortlessly remove all seeds while leaving the luscious fruit behind. I love that the actual floss container isn't the focus of the ad and the brightly colored fruits with their pile of seeds really steal the show.

20) Volkswagen Precision Parking - This ad made me laugh out loud and I think it's really on point with the Volkswagen brand. The cars are compact and able to squeeze into the tightest of parking spots. Adding humor to the ad, where the porcupine is nestled in a precarious situation is an easy memory cue to how tough certain parallel parking situations can be. The ad succeeds at letting me know Volkswagen park assist can help me in a tight situation.

23) WWF - WWF is a recognized symbol of preserving wildlife. I think the side-by-side pictures in this ad are really powerful. The shark fin is a well-known sign of impending doom, but the ad flips this scary thought by highlighting how much worse it would be if we sharks were no longer around. The fin is the figure to focus on while the vast ocean is the ground in the figure-ground principle. The ad is beautifully simple and connects on an emotional level.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this was really interesting. It seems that many of the ads are for non-profits, causing you to pause and think about their message.

    I also found the VW ad engaging as there was no picture of a car. They have done such a great job of informing the consumer of their specialized advertising, they do not even have to show the product. Does anyone else have examples where the product is no longer needed to be shown due to brand recognition?

    ReplyDelete