Thursday, March 20, 2014

E-commerce and gender differences

In class, we talked a lot about gender differences when a couple shops together. I recently found an article that discussed how men and women shop not in actual stores, but online. I decided to write it here since we didn't really touch on eCommerce.

1) Sometimes, consumers tend to look at the items in store first and then purchase them online for a cheaper price. While the majority of people don't do it, 12% of male customers said they looked at an item in the shop and bought it afterwards on the internet for a cheaper price; only 9% of women did so. This is an interesting finding: it seems to me that the endowment effect has a lot stronger impact on women than men. I can personally agree with this: when I find something that fits me or that I like, I would prefer to buy it on the spot rather than wait days before I can actually wear it.

2) Women are more likely to pay attention to marketing emails; "14% of women, compared to 8% of men, say that they first saw their most recent online purchase in an email from a store." With this in mind, companies can look over their email subscriber database and send out more promotional emails to women. Also they could try sending them out at times when the consumer is more likely to look and respond to those messages.

3) "Women are also more likely to use coupons, with 34% of women using them vs. 26% of men." One marketing strategy would be to include and advertise the discounts and coupons more prominently in the emails. 

http://smallbiztrends.com/2013/08/male-vs-female-shopping-behavior-survey.html

No comments:

Post a Comment