Monday, March 24, 2014

This razor ad reminded me strongly of our conversation about different methods of stimulate involuntary attention. This ad used the method of "surprise the consumer" by showing a novelty and unexpected image that encouraged elaboration and involvement. I wasn't looking for a razor ad when I saw it, but the ad grabbed my attention because the image looked so strange to me at first that I couldn't help but pause what I was doing and look more at it. The ad's novelty relies on a giant 3-D razor apparently having shaved the grass on a field to demonstrate the razor's ability. It depends on the rest of the grass outside of the one shaven strip to be unkempt and unshaven compared to the strip that the large razor is left on, for contrast. The ad also uses the idea of "making it bigger" to promote involuntary consumer attention in the sense that it's not normal to see such a large 3-D razor. I thought these two methods of encouraging involuntary attention were very effective for the ad, and thought it was interesting that they relied entirely on these methods rather than any writing (more traditional advertisement that they could have combined with their efforts to make the ad large and novel). On reflection, I feel as though writing on the billboard itself may have taken away from the surprise of the ad, or may have added too much of another element to the ad and created confusion. The white background seems to go with the shaven patch of grass; both say the razor will give you cleanliness and order.

No comments:

Post a Comment